Polls close in 40 minutes. Go out and vote!

Rss     Subscribe     Share     Tweet    

0 Points

mrmagoo

#3 [url]

Jun 7 17 7:47 PM

Murphy and Guadagno? New Jersey is doomed.

Frankie and I are currently house hunting in the Chantilly, VA area since MD is as bad as NJ w/r/t how it is governed. In 2-3 years I plan to sell my place in Lavalette and then wil have cut all financial ties to my beloved home state.

Murphy and Guadagno? Good Lord help us.

Quote    Reply   

rc95

Posts: 22,880 My kingdon for a wheel route (since I left mine at home)
Mod of Slime
Drunk

#4 [url]

Jun 7 17 8:54 PM

Well, Murphy. Guadagno is fighting a serious uphill battle.

Not what I was hoping for, but the two more progressive candidates basically split that vote -- in aggregate, it's probably more than Murphy got. 

Career-wise, Johnson is the big winner -- he's being bandied about for Senate should Bob M. decide to move along.

Quote    Reply   

elgreco

#5 [url]

Jun 7 17 9:43 PM

Poor voter turn out is unfortunate. "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail." or something like that. We are now prepped for failure in November. You'd think that NJ folks would have realized the importance of good choices after November when no one - except for true political party fanboys - was excited about our choices.

Good luck in Virginia, Magoo!!!

Quote    Reply   

robertg

Now let's eat.

#6 [url]

Jun 7 17 9:44 PM

I really don't understand the republican party in NJ, Guadagno has no shot. And I don't understand the democrats voting for a guy who clearly purchased the nomination. What a crap show.

Quote    Reply   

rc95

Mod of Slime
Drunk

#7 [url]

Jun 7 17 10:04 PM

As I said, I didn't cast my vote for the winner. 

Problem was, Wiziewski and Johnson split the vote that would've taken Murphy down.

I think it's likely Guadagno is just taking one for the team. Tom Kean (Sr.) would have trouble beating a Democrat in this environment.

My prediction on Murphy is that things get better in NJ (because it'd be pretty tough to make them any worse at this point), and he takes credit and vaults into the national conversation.

Quote    Reply   

robertg

Now let's eat.

#8 [url]

Jun 7 17 11:29 PM

I don't see how Murphy's plan will make us better in NJ.   He wants to fully fund everything, increase the min wage, expand Pre-K and pay for it with economic growth but at the same time taxing businesses and millionaires in a state in which we rank dead last in business climate but in the top 3 in taxes.

I'm will not argue the benefits of min wage increase or Pre-K, but the current financial situation, business climate, pension funding and tax situation in NJ are dire, and you are just not going to get the money to pay for all of his proposals from more taxes and you are not going to grow the economy by raising costs on businesses.   

Quote    Reply   

rc95

Mod of Slime
Drunk

#9 [url]

Jun 7 17 11:52 PM

Robert, I hesitate to get into the particulars because that's been a slippery slope on this board in the past. What you're objecting to was pretty much identical in all the Dems' platforms -- that's a philosophical difference, and I don't think that discussion will be productive. 

My point was that even if Murphy's policies aren't all that great, things will likely improve by default, and he'll get the credit -- and parlay that into a national career. This guy knows how to play the game. He spent a ton of money on the primary, and that worked out. Now he says he'll take matching funds, which will limit his spending in the general. Shrewd -- he basically can't lose, and now he has bona fides on campaign finance reform.

As Bono once said: The thing about democracy is that, no matter who you vote for, the government always gets in.

Quote    Reply   

leapinlou

Stalking Players' Families Since 1985

#10 [url]

Jun 8 17 1:23 AM

13% of registered voters turned out. Perhaps people just figured the results were a foregone conclusion so they didn't bother. Don't know. I voted for Lesniak who I realized had no chance but he's an RU guy so I hooked him up. He ended up with 5% of the democrat vote. He was a very distant third to Murphy's 48%. The guy that came in 2nd had 22%.

Quote    Reply   

robertg

Now let's eat.

#11 [url]

Jun 8 17 1:38 AM

rc95 wrote:
Robert, I hesitate to get into the particulars because that's been a slippery slope on this board in the past. What you're objecting to was pretty much identical in all the Dems' platforms -- that's a philosophical difference, and I don't think that discussion will be productive. 

My point was that even if Murphy's policies aren't all that great, things will likely improve by default, and he'll get the credit -- and parlay that into a national career. This guy knows how to play the game. He spent a ton of money on the primary, and that worked out. Now he says he'll take matching funds, which will limit his spending in the general. Shrewd -- he basically can't lose, and now he has bona fides on campaign finance reform.

As Bono once said: The thing about democracy is that, no matter who you vote for, the government always gets in.
Agreed not to get into particulars.  I just don't see things improving and given Trump's unpredictability I could see things going south.      

Quote    Reply   

mrmagoo

#12 [url]

Jun 8 17 4:30 AM

elgreco wrote:
Good luck in Virginia, Magoo!!!
Thanks. You get a lot more for your money re housing, and my financial guy has been on me to make the move since we chose MD in the first place. Among the things I won't miss are the awful traffic and rude people, lack of open space, and speed cameras in numbers that boggle the mind.

Problem with VA is it puts me an additional hour away from Lavallette, so the beach cottage will have to go sooner than I planned.

Also, I will probably need to get a gun*, since everyone down there seems to have one. 

*j/k

Quote    Reply   

scoopdave

#13 [url]

Jun 8 17 6:24 AM

Magoo, I'm in the Deeper South, and no gun yet. But I'd say 5 people on my street of 42 homes got guns and boxes and boxes of ammo in Nov 2008, I take great delight in telling them no one took them away. Best story was the one who was going to buy a hand gun, a savy guy told him no, get a pump action shotgun, any intruder would probably hightail it when he heard the pump action.

Quote    Reply   

georgestreet

Substitute Jack

#14 [url]

Jun 8 17 8:30 AM

I have no problem with sane, law abiding, God fearing, people owning guns. Those are the folks the writers of the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution had in mind, I am convinced.

Problem is, there is a diminishing number of sane, law abiding, God fearing people in this country. And I'm not referring specifically to recent immigrants.

Unless I'm in the woods purposely hunting, I won't carry a gun anymore. Don't get me wrong. Time was, in my younger days, I would walk into the woods and shoot anything that moved. But I wish someone in the crowd who was attacked with knives in London had been carrying a man stopper.

Last Edited By: georgestreet Jun 8 17 8:51 AM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

georgestreet

Substitute Jack

#15 [url]

Jun 8 17 9:29 AM

Lou, you voted, win or lose you acted like a worthy citizen. The 87% who did not should be stripped of their citizenship and forced to re-apply, like new immigrants. Perhaps that will get their attention.

Quote    Reply   

mrmagoo

#16 [url]

Jun 8 17 9:52 AM

George, I think it's common to assume that those who don't vote are apathetic and ignorant. That however is an oversimplification. There are those who do care, and are very well informed, who sit out for other reasons. For example in this past presidential election I simply could not pull the lever for any of the candidates - Libertarian and Green included - despite desperately wanting to do so.

Quote    Reply   

robertg

Now let's eat.

#17 [url]

Jun 8 17 9:40 PM

Magoo,

Next time at the beach house head over to the Ohana Grill, the owner is a Rutgers man and my wife's cousin.  Really good food.   

Quote    Reply   

mrmagoo

#18 [url]

Jun 9 17 1:08 AM

robertg wrote:
Magoo,

Next time at the beach house head over to the Ohana Grill, the owner is a Rutgers man and my wife's cousin.  Really good food.   

I have been meaning to go there Robert. A college buddy who owns Toms River Marine & Motorsports absolutely loves the place. I believe he knows your wife's cousin too.

Problem is you need to make weekend reservations weeks in advance.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help