Quote    Reply   

leapinlou

Stalking Players' Families Since 1985

#2 [url]

Jun 8 17 9:51 PM

he's received interest from Colorado, Boise State, Colorado State, San Jose State and Columbia

Columbia does seem to be a bit of an outlier on this list.

Regarding the ex's

- I suspect Tsimis will tear it up for Towson.  He can play.

- Caroo saying he took the draft for granted and didn't work hard last year explains a lot.   If you follow Sanu on social media you see all the hard work and dedication it takes to stick in the NFL these days.  It's insanely competitive.  Anybody that thinks they can just rely on their God given talent isn't paying attention.

Quote    Reply   

mrtreeman

Posts: 4,944 uncertain, guilt-ridden, and basically miserable

#3 [url]

Jun 9 17 1:11 AM

It's clear that RU has dropped the level of recruits it makes an offer to. The top talents are not coming, or entertaining, at the moment. We are reading recruiting articles about a 2* California QB, with "interest" (not offers) from schools that RU shouldn't be competing with. I'm not saying this kid isn't potentially amazing, but it's clear that RU is taking a step down in recruiting. And crossing the country to do so. I hope Kill and Ash know what they are doing. Maybe there is no choice at the moment, but I'm hugely skeptical that this level of recruit can compete with the level of recruits the other B1G teams land. Ash better win some games this year because recruiting next year won't get any easier. The RU staff better be amazing at developing talent.

NFL players, even if they are great, train in a manner we, mere mortals, are unfamiliar with. It would demolish us (and some of us are in excellent shape). Carroo's approach is childish at best. At worst, he doesn't care. If he doesn't care, his NFL career might be over. You get what you put into it.

Quote    Reply   

rc95

Posts: 22,880 My kingdon for a wheel route (since I left mine at home)
Mod of Slime
Drunk

#4 [url]

Jun 9 17 2:12 AM

You guys will recall I was pretty critical of Carroo when he had his legal problems last year. Regardless of the legal outcome, I felt that the whole episode reflected poorly on his character.

Is there any connection or even correlation here? I dunno. But both instances line up with a perception that he has an outsized sense of entitlement.

Quote    Reply   

mrmagoo

#5 [url]

Jun 9 17 9:11 PM

mrtreeman wrote:
It's clear that RU has dropped the level of recruits it makes an offer to. The top talents are not coming, or entertaining, at the moment. We are reading recruiting articles about a 2* California QB, with "interest" (not offers) from schools that RU shouldn't be competing with. I'm not saying this kid isn't potentially amazing, but it's clear that RU is taking a step down in recruiting. And crossing the country to do so. I hope Kill and Ash know what they are doing. Maybe there is no choice at the moment, but I'm hugely skeptical that this level of recruit can compete with the level of recruits the other B1G teams land. Ash better win some games this year because recruiting next year won't get any easier. The RU staff better be amazing at developing talent.
Yeah, after a solid class last year we are back to putting too many eggs in the undiscovered gem basket. 

If kids are staying away because of last year's results, ok. But it they're hearing that Ash & Co are in over their heads - Jerry Kill excepted - well then that's a whole different can of worms.

I want to see RU make some noise in the B1G before I move to that debauched senior place in Florida. So I'm hoping it's the former. 

Quote    Reply   

rc95

Mod of Slime
Drunk

#6 [url]

Jun 9 17 9:35 PM

Magoo, I don't think those are mutually exclusive concepts. I imagine recruits are going to take a wait-and-see approach with RU this fall. 

Quote    Reply   

mrtreeman

#7 [url]

Jun 10 17 12:37 AM

I think that's right.. so basically, to even put yourself in wait mode, you have to really like RU to begin with. And then RU better win. I think recruiting takes a step down this year. And then up if ash wins some games. If not, then the recruiting "see" doesn't bode well. The guy has a tight window this year.

Quote    Reply   

rc95

Mod of Slime
Drunk

#8 [url]

Jun 10 17 1:26 AM

I think the team needs to look better this year. He just needs to give recruits a real sense that there's a plan in place and that he can make it work. If there's another 78-point loss, Ash will be in real trouble. 

My way-too-early prediction is that we'll get four wins and limit the blowouts to non-epic proportions (and maybe have one or two fewer of them). And then you'll see some late uptick in recruiting, but not enough to really bump us into the national conversation. And then as long as things appear to remain on trajectory in year three, the recruiting will improve.

Let's not forget that this board was pretty firmly in the camp of firing Schiano after year four. Sometimes you gotta let people do their jobs.

Quote    Reply   

scoopdave

#9 [url]

Jun 10 17 6:48 AM

mrmagoo wrote:
mrtreeman wrote:
Yeah, after a solid class last year we are back to putting too many eggs in the undiscovered gem basket. 

If kids are staying away because of last year's results, ok. But it they're hearing that Ash & Co are in over their heads - Jerry Kill excepted - well then that's a whole different can of worms.

I want to see RU make some noise in the B1G before I move to that debauched senior place in Florida. So I'm hoping it's the former. 

The stories of STDs in The Villages are a myth, the rates are no more than the rest of Florida. Not to say there isn't a lot of hooking up. Good pal of mine , a retired Northwest 747 captain lost his dear wife last year , and now has a squeeze 12 years younger. Chicks come calling with casseroles. Flying high .

Quote    Reply   

rufleche

#10 [url]

Jun 10 17 6:49 AM

Schiano was getting kids from Florida and they made the team better. I don't think Iowa/MN has as much to offer as far as talented kids who are passed over by their dream school.

Quote    Reply   

mrtreeman

#11 [url]

Jun 10 17 7:04 AM

To be clear, I'm for giving the guy 6 years. He got a mess. He also made a bit of a mess by hiring mehringer and giving him the keys to the castle. He's the horse RU is riding. I'm just calling out that recruiting is looking Flood-esque at this moment. He will need a plan on how to turn that around and not make it a rut.

Quote    Reply   

mrmagoo

#12 [url]

Jun 10 17 7:26 AM

What Tree said.

And Fleche brings up a good point wrt Schiano's early FL kids. I'm trying to remember if those kids were as lightly recruited as the out of state kids we are targeting now. I'm not sure and don't feel like researching it, but the Alfred Petersons, Clarence Pittmans, those types I think (!) had some solid offers.

Also worth noting that the CA QB we are pursuing hard despite his weird offer list has been identified and targeted by our most experienced coach. So that makes me slightly less nervous.

Quote    Reply   

georgestreet

Substitute Jack

#13 [url]

Jun 10 17 7:43 AM

I still cannot forgive Ash for Mehringer and the god awful special teams. He had better make large strides forward or I'm calling for a new coach.

Quote    Reply   

leapinlou

Stalking Players' Families Since 1985

#14 [url]

Jun 13 17 10:39 PM

The reality is that Ash doesn't have the charisma of Schiano. Plus we all know Schiano got very lucky that Pasqualoni got canned, bringing in Ray Rice and Courtney Greene. Then throw in the circumstances that got us Brian Leonard. Alot of stuff broke right for us to go from laughingstock to top 10 program. And when that leveled off, we were a top 30 program under Schiano and that would have been freaking great with me. But some dumb ass in Tampa thought the guy could be a head coach in the NFL and now he we are. We are on a trajectory to be like Indiana. Maryland got themselves a guy that can recruit. At some point hopefully we'll find another one before Magoo gets chlamydia from a 75 year old.

Quote    Reply   

ruinsane

Division 3 player with a Division 1 scholarship

#16 [url]

Jun 14 17 1:12 AM

leapinlou wrote:
At some point hopefully we'll find another one before Magoo gets chlamydia from a 75 year old.

What makes you think that hasn't happened yet?

Quote    Reply   

rufleche

#18 [url]

Jun 14 17 2:32 AM

In Schiano's first years we were starting a 260# TE from California at center, and our best player was an injured transfer from Tennesee.
But he had a plan and he had charisma. The "Meeting" with HS head coaches, and the pipeline to FLA that brought in guys that were not getting into UF, FLSt. or Miami upgraded talent. Then Syracuse canned Pasqualoni. Also, he was able to schedule 3 tomato cans a year. That certainly helped.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help