mrtreeman

Posts: 4,945 uncertain, guilt-ridden, and basically miserable

#21 [url]

Jun 14 17 3:15 AM

This discussion isn't focused on last year's class. It's focused on what's going on right now, and it doesn't look pretty. That's not to say he won't pull a rabbit out of his hat, but he still has to do that.

Quote    Reply   

rc95

Posts: 22,880 My kingdon for a wheel route (since I left mine at home)
Mod of Slime
Drunk

#22 [url]

Jun 14 17 4:01 AM

If the topic is a comparison of Schiano and Ash, the specific question is whether Schiano's third class -- the one he signed after the BuffaNova season -- was any good. 

This list is from 24/7 Sports. It seems to have Nate Robinson listed twice, but there are some other pretty good names. Will Ash's class match this one? So far it's not looking great.

• Nate Robinson
    • DT (6-4/320)
    • 0.9954 (+29.54)
    • Remove
    • Nathaniel Robinson
    • DT (6-4/319)
    • 0.9667 (+26.5)
    • Remove
    • Donnie Diaz
    • WR (6-6/200)
    • 0.8333 (+13.01)
    • Remove
    • Charles Timbers
    • CB (5-10/173)
    • 0.8333 (+12.61)
    • Remove
    • Clint Dato
    • OT (6-5/332)
    • 0.8333 (+12.08)
    • Remove
    • Justice Hairston
    • RB (6-0/205)
    • 0.8333 (+11.43)
    • Remove
    • Willie Foster
    • WR (5-10/170)
    • 0.8333 (+10.68)
    • Remove
    • Jamar Brittingham
    • RB (6-1/190)
    • 0.8 (+7.39)
    • Remove
    • Orlando Kane
    • APB (5-9/170)
    • 0.8 (+6.74)
    • Remove
    • Quintero Frierson
    • ILB (6-0/215)
    • 0.8 (+6.07)
    • Remove
    • Joe Porter
    • CB (5-10/175)
    • 0.8 (+5.39)
    • Remove
    • Pedro Sosa
    • OT (6-4/266)
    • 0.8 (+4.74)
    • Remove
    • David Harley
    • DT (6-2/295)
    • 0.8 (+4.11)
    • Remove
    • Sam Johnson
    • TE (6-4/235)
    • 0.8 (+3.52)
    • Remove
    • Rashawn Ricks
    • ILB (6-2/234)
    • 0.8 (+2.98)
    • Remove
    • Brad Listorti
    • TE (6-2/224)
    • 0.7667 (+1.66)
    • Remove
    • Derek Roberson
    • ATH (5-10/175)
    • 0.7667 (+1.37)
    • Remove
    • Terrance Shawell
    • DUAL (6-4/190)
    • 0.7667 (+1.12)
    • Remove
    • Devraun Thompson
    • OLB (5-11/209)
    • 0.7667 (+0.9)
    • Remove
    • Marcus Mitchell
    • S (6-1/210)
    • 0.7667 (+0.72)
    • Remove
    • Marcus Daniels
    • WR (6-2/190)
    • 0.7667 (+0.56)
    • Remove
    • Eric Foster
    • ILB (6-5/235)
    • 0.7667 (+0.44)
    • Remove
    • Mike Fladell
    • OT (6-8/350)
    • 0.7667 (+0.34)
    • Remove
    • Keon Braswell
    • S (6-0/180)
    • 0.7667 (+0.25)
    • Remove
    • Ken Gillespie
    • OLB (6-0/205)
    • 0.7667 (+0.19)

Quote    Reply   

rc95

Posts: 22,880 My kingdon for a wheel route (since I left mine at home)
Mod of Slime
Drunk

#24 [url]

Jun 14 17 4:14 AM

Or even a couple of years after we see how many are actual players.

Quote    Reply   

mrmagoo

#26 [url]

Jun 14 17 6:44 AM

I can understand mistakenly listing Robinsipon twice, but why did his rating decrease?

Oh I see, he used his full Christian name and he lost a pound. Never mind.

Quote    Reply   

mrmagoo

#27 [url]

Jun 14 17 6:52 AM

rufleche wrote:
In Schiano's first years we were starting a 260# TE from California at center, and our best player was an injured transfer from Tennesee.
But he had a plan and he had charisma. The "Meeting" with HS head coaches, and the pipeline to FLA that brought in guys that were not getting into UF, FLSt. or Miami upgraded talent. Then Syracuse canned Pasqualoni. Also, he was able to schedule 3 tomato cans a year. That certainly helped.

"The Meeting" was with the top players in NJ that year, not the top coaches. No evidence that Ash attempted to do something similar, but he has done a great job of reaching out to NJ's high school coaches. (I'm referring to getting in front of them, not how well he was or wasn't received.)

Schiano gets major props for his vision of what Rutgers football could be and for making us relevant, but I would not rank him much higher than average as a recruiter. He regularly lost top NJ kids to conference rivals like Pitt anfpd Cuse, and seemed to become more charismatic once he hired Hafley and Angelico. IMO Ash would do well to steal an ace recruiter from somewhere.

Last Edited By: mrmagoo Jun 14 17 6:54 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

rufleche

#30 [url]

Jun 15 17 1:56 AM

I like the idea of getting together the top NJ recruits in one room. Show them that if they stay they can build Rutgers into a power and create their own legacy. It is a compelling story.

Quote    Reply   

leapinlou

Stalking Players' Families Since 1985

#31 [url]

Jun 15 17 2:09 AM

Ash has junior days. But I'm not sure if he has any that are exclusively for NJ players. I think Schiano held separate meetings where only the top 15-20 NJ guys are invited to pitch them on the idea of staying together. I think that is more in line with what I'd like Ash to do if its not already being done.

Quote    Reply   

mrtreeman

#32 [url]

Jun 15 17 3:04 AM

The attitude I got in the beginning was, no need for Jersey ties. Recruiting is recruiting. And BTW, a real coach with a top staff are here now, so just to reiterate, no need. 

While I think things have advanced a bit (hiring some Jersey coaches), he still hits the kids on a case by case basis. I get the sense he tries the testosterone filled approach (which I'm no fan of), and that's pretty hit or miss. Maybe 15 years ago it was all hits, but I think (hope) times have changed. I don't think he's willing to do the Schiano top 20 guys in NJ, you all have offers regardless and challenge them to get it done. Not that Schiano had ever come close to closing more than 2 or 3 of them. The irony is last year Ash signed more top 10 NJ recruits than GS ever did in any 1 year.

Anyhow, we will see. As I said, I hope he's got a plan for not slipping and resting in a rut. Hopefully this new commit will get the ball rolling a bit.

Quote    Reply   

mrtreeman

#35 [url]

Jun 15 17 5:26 AM

That was Television-esque.

I had a boss once ask me, "where did so and so go? I have a meeting with him right now"
me: "I don't know"
boss: "can you go find him?" (slightly annoyed)
me: "would you like some coffee when I get back too?"

Quote    Reply   

ruinsane

Division 3 player with a Division 1 scholarship

#37 [url]

Jun 15 17 11:54 PM

mrtreeman wrote:
That was Television-esque.

I had a boss once ask me, "where did so and so go? I have a meeting with him right now"
me: "I don't know"
boss: "can you go find him?" (slightly annoyed)
me: "would you like some coffee when I get back too?"

I had a similar experience early in my career. Boss asked where my co-worker was. (I knew he had left for the day but we both hated her, so I wasn't going to say anything) I said I did not know, then she yelled at me to go find them. To which I said OK, got up, went down to the street and drank a cup of coffee and then came back up and said I couldn't locate them. This is the same boss who in week 2 of her tenure (of which she was a psycho bitch from day 1) walked in one day with a bag of jellybeans and jar, and said "I brought jellybeans for the team to have. And Matthew will keep the jar refilled" Now mind you, I had already been working at the company 2 years and had been top rated both times for performance. In my ill advised youth I just looked up and replied "I think I still have some self respect left in the corner if you like to go over there and crush it"

Quote    Reply   

mrtreeman

#38 [url]

Jun 16 17 3:28 AM

Ha! As for your "ill advised" comment, I don't think it's ever ill advised to be firm on your boundaries and let people know when they breached them. To be clear, in my story, I went right back to work while my boss felt like an ass. This particular boss was just used to being a bloviating bully, and I never played into it. He was, and probably still is, fueled by fear. Once, during a cover-up event, he flat out told me to lie to a client. I told him to do his own dirty work. Sure enough the client called me, asked me what was going on, and I told him (with my boss in earshot), that I wasn't allowed to talk about situation in a manner I was comfortable with and they would have to address it with this boss.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help